AngloGold Ashanti is committed to building strong relationships with governments and key stakeholders that host and influence our business. Political and regulatory uncertainty and finding ways to navigate these risks remains a key material issue for the business. Rapid changes in the global economy have resulted in increased expectations on mining companies and the sector to play a more constructive and developmental role in economic, social, environmental and governance issues of host nations. We aim to create sustainable returns and shared value in a fair and responsible manner by establishing enduring relationships that are anchored on understanding, trust, and meaningful dialogue.
Our approach is guided by a policy and a strategic framework that outline the philosophy, scope and implementation of our government relations interventions.
Key activities include:
- Knowing and understanding global normative frameworks and key national legislative, policy and political environments and their current and future impacts on our business.
- Communicating proactively and openly with governments about our business needs and industry realities.
- Compliance with any overriding provisions of our host governments laws and regulations including our guiding principles and company values.
- Supporting the licensing/permitting process and relevant government engagement to improve permitting outcomes.
- Participation and contribution to international and national public policy discourse on mining and thought leadership