All-in sustaining costs
Contribution to group production
Mineração Serra Grande (MSG or Serra Grande) is wholly owned by AngloGold Ashanti and is located in the northwest of Goiás State, central Brazil.
The Serra Grande operation comprises three underground mines, namely Mina III (including orebody IV, V and Ingá), Mina Nova (including Pequizão orebody) and Mina Palmeiras. The open pits mine the outcrop of Mina III Inferior and Structure IV zones, and Pequizão. Three mining methods are used underground: sub-level stoping (bottom-up and top-down), cut and fill, and room and pillar.
One dedicated metallurgical plant, with an annual capacity of 1.5Mt, treats all ore mined.
A brief history
- Exploration began in 1973 with a phase of detailed mapping and DD, which continued until 1976.
- The mining operation started up in 1986 in Mina III and the metallurgical plant start-up was in 1989.
- Serra Grande production peaked at 193kozpa in 2006, supported by high grades.
- In 2009, the metallurgical plant was expanded to 1.3Mtpa to compensate for a declining grade-profile.
- In 2012 AngloGold Ashanti acquired the 50% stake that belonged to the Kinross Group.
ESG statistics 2020
All injury frequency rate
3.80 per million hours worked
Payments to government
Reportable environmental incidents
1 (2019: 0)
Water use efficiency
Energy use intensity
GHG emission intensity
(2019: 18kg/t CO2e)
Tailings storage facility management in Brazil
We have engaged with concerned communities to demonstrate the effectiveness of our TSF management systems. In 2019, more the 850 people from our nearby communities participated in visits to TSFs.
Covid-19 response: Supporting employees and communities in Brazil
Making sure work environments were safe for employees in the face of COVID-19, was just one aspect of AngloGold Ashanti’s response to the pandemic. This video outlines the humanitarian support provided to hospitals and social partners in an effort to fight COVID-19.
Brazil’s sustainable partnership programme
AngloGold Ashanti has a number of partnerships in place that help us to live up to our commitment to make the communities in which we operate better off because of our presence.