Using this report
Our annual report comprises two parts – the Report to Society (this report) and the Annual Financial Statements.
The primary format for the Report to Society is the online report, although a printed version is available on request.
This report itself is in three parts:
- The primary report (which is also available as a printed document). This report has been
assured by external auditors PwC.
- The online case studies, which provide discussions on key issues that the company has faced during the year, and examples of how these were dealt with on the ground.
- The country and operational reports that have been developed as follows: Australia, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa
(West Wits, Vaal River) Namibia, Tanzania, Ghana ( Obuasi and Iduapriem),
Guinea, Mali (Morila and Sadiola/Yatela).
In the main body of the report we have a letter from our CEO, Mark Cutifani, to all stakeholders, and have provided a picture of the organisation that
demonstrates the life cycle of our operations (from exploration to closure), where we operate, and the issues that are most material to us.
In this report we provide an account of our performance during the year in seven key areas of our business, namely:
In each section, we look at:
- The key issues during the year.
- The company’s value and business principle in respect of this section.
- Our scorecard, reporting our performance against the objectives we set in the previous year and the next steps to be taken in meeting these objectives (if they were not met)
- Review of 2007, under three main headings: an introduction; how the issue is managed; and performance for the year
- Case studies. Six case studies, dealing with some of the most significant issues have been produced in the main report. Summaries may be found towards the end of each section.
- Objectives for 2008
feedback form, the
glossary of terms and a detailed schedule indicating our
compliance with the GRI guidelines and the principles of the ICMM and the UN Global Compact are also provided.