About this report
AngloGold Ashanti’s business is gold. Its activities range from exploring for and mining the
precious metal to processing and benefitiation. In 2005, the company operated 21 mines in 10
countries. Some of the key features pertaining to sustainable development are indicated below.
- Gold produced rose by 6% to 6.2 million ounces.
- The company employed 66,993 people, made up of 47,848 (75%) permanent
employees and 16,145 (25%) contractors and JV employees. (2004: 65,400).
- Payment to employees, including salaries, wages and other benefits amounted to $877
million, 7% up on the previous year.
- Capital expenditure for the year was $722 million, an increase of 23% on the previous year.
- Dividends of $169 million was paid to the shareholders during 2005.
- Total corporate social investment (CSI) expenditure amounted to some $8,752,407 CSI
is defined as the voluntary investment of funds into the broader community where the
target beneficiaries are external to the company.
- AngloGold Ashanti achieved the conversion of its mineral rights into ‘new order’ rights
in line with the South African Minerals and Petroleum Resources Development Act
(MPRDA) of 2002.