USING THIS REPORT
Using this report
Welcome to AngloGold Ashanti's Report to Society 2004
This is the second year that AngloGold Ashanti has compiled a web-based report covering both those issues traditionally associated with sustainable development and including the financial and operating results of the company.
To address the needs of users of this report, it has been compiled in such a way as to make it more accessible to its various users.
The report may be accessed from three vantage points:
- The primary access point and the bulk of the report is based on the business principles that underlie the group's vision and values. These five business principles deal with six disciplines that are covered in this report
- safety and health,
HIV/AIDS and malaria, and
community. Each discipline is colour coded as indicated below.
In each document you will find a number of sections dealing with:
- The business principle, which contains the principles that the company has committed to and against which it is reporting.
- Key indicators, which indicate those things that we believe those elements that we believe are important indicators of whether or not we are on track to met our commitments.
- Milestones, which indicate significant achievements during the year.
- Review of 2004, which provides an overview of the performance of the group's operations during the year, once again against the business principles.
- The Scorecard, which repeats the commitments made in the Report to Society 2003, the progress (or lack of it) made in 2004 and the objectives for 2005.
- Reporting according to GRI, which is report on the company's performance against the GRI indicators.
- Case studies, which illustrate specific examples which illustrate some of the challenges faced by the group, and how these are being dealt with.
- Readers may access reports on the group's underlying operations through:
- Country or operational reports which are available on:
Australia, Argentina, Brazil, Ghana (Bibiani, Obuasi and Iduapriem), Guinea, Namibia, Mali (Morila and Sadiola/Yatela), South Africa (Ergo, West Wits, Vaal River), Tanzania, USA. These reports will, over time, be translated into the languages necessary for them to be accessed by local communities.
- Access the case studies that appear in the main report in (1) above by country.
- Attention has been paid to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) format in compiling this report. In addition to the comprehensive GRI matrix found in this section, GRI indices related to the various sections are found associated with each business principle.
Sections of the report have been
assured by independent auditors PWC. Because of both cost and time considerations these have been limited to those areas that are most meaningful to the company and its stakeholders. There are a number of areas where assurance has not been undertaken where the company acknowledges that its systems are not yet in place for assurance purposes and this is being addressed. Also, since the assurance process only began in 2003, data related to years prior to 2003 are not assured. For details on the assurance process
see the Report of the Independent auditors.
While the primary reporting format is through this dedicated, copies of the entire report or portions of this report may be accessed,
downloaded or printed from this website. This report is also available on CD-ROM or in a printed version from the persons
listed under contacts.