AngloGold Ashanti has consistently supported the objectives and vision of The Broad Based Socio-Economic Charter for the South African Mining Industry (Mining Charter), published by the South African government in April 2004.
The Mining Charter ensures that we achieve the following objectives;
- Promotion of equitable access to the nation’s mineral resources to all people of South Africa.
- Expansion of meaningful and substantive opportunities for all Historically Disadvantaged South Africans (HDSAs) to enter the mining industry and to benefit from the nation’s mineral resources.
- Utilisation of the existing skills base for the empowerment of HDSAs.
- Expansion of the skills base of HDSAs in order to serve the community.
- Promotion of employment and advancement of the social and economic welfare of mining communities and the major labour-sending areas.
- Promotion of beneficiation of South Africa’s mineral commodities.
For further information, please visit www.dmr.gov.za.