While gold is our principal product, we also produce silver (Argentina) and sulphuric acid (Brazil) as by-products. In Colombia, feasibility studies are currently underway at two of our projects, one of which will produce both gold and copper.
What we do
We establish and maintain a pipeline of economically viable and competitive projects to develop long-term mining operations. Exploration is a cornerstone of our business.
Mining, processing and refining
We operate and maintain mining and processing infrastructure and equipment, and ensure a skilled and trained workforce to enable cost-efficient, safe operations.
Sale of product, financial management
We sell gold and by-products to generate revenue. Our solid financial management and disciplined capital allocation ensures positive, sustained cash flow and returns.
Rehabilitation and mine closure
Develop and maintain constructive stakeholder relations to support our regulatory and social licences to operate; minimise and mitigate our environmental impact and manage closure
responsibly and in line with our values.
AngloGold Ashanti at a glance
- Third largest gold producer globally and the largest on the African continent, producing 3.047Moz and employing an average of 36,952 people (including contractors) in 2020
- Responsible gold miner, in partnerships with host communities and governments – we aim to create value for all our stakeholders over the long term
- Listed on the Johannesburg, New York, Australian and Ghana stock exchanges
- A geographically diverse shareholder base includes the world’s largest financial institutions
- Market capitalisation of $9.4bn as at 31 December 2020
- Included in the JSE Top 40 Index, the S&P Global CSA, the FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Index Series (the FTSE4Good Index), the Responsible Mining Index and the Bloomberg 2021 Gender-Equality Index
Recent corporate developments
Obuasi redevelopment achieved first gold pour
Sale of South African assets completed
Morila in Mali sold
Sadiola in Mali sold
Regis Resources becomes 30% Partner at Tropicana
AngloGold Limited was founded in June 1998 with the consolidation of the gold mining interests of Anglo American.
In August 1998, AngloGold became the first South African company to list on the NYSE.
The company, AngloGold Ashanti as it is now, was formed in April 2004 following the business combination of AngloGold Limited (AngloGold) with Ashanti Goldfields Company Limited (Ashanti). Anglo American started reducing its stake in AngloGold Ashanti in April 2006 via equity placement. Thereafter, Anglo American continued to implement small sales of its remaining interest in AngloGold Ashanti via the market and in March 2009, sold its remaining interest.
Today, AngloGold Ashanti is the third largest gold producing mining company in the world. The Company remains an independent gold producer, with no dominant investor and a diverse spread of shareholders which count among the world’s largest financial institutions.